Nadia


Some time back I found Nadia Kazmi via an interview with blogcritics, where she said of Leonard Cohen.
He’s my favorite artist of all time…Actually, for my next album I’m doing Leonard Cohen songs. I know it’s been done before many times, but I’m trying to do something a little more interesting because I’m going to infuse it with that rock/soul element that I have for the rest of my stuff. So I’m really going to change the songs quite a lot.
And boy was that ever true. Somehow I missed the release last year and have only just caught up with the album. So happy I have finally found it. The album is called "Strange Song - The Songs of Leonard Cohen".
On the album Nadia "covers" nine songs from seven Leonard Cohen albums. Although "covers" is probably not the true description. Reinvents would be more apt I think.
The dark brooding interpretations have garnered her praise in both Europe and North America. Co-produced and arranged by Uri Djemal of Madpan Studios and Nadia herself, the album advances her musical sound making the album somehow more personal than her last.
So, while I don't claim to be a master of prose, and certainly I'm no poet, I will attempt to give you my feelings on the different tracks from the album.



1) Why Don't You Try from New Skin For The Old Ceremony [1974].
On this track Nadia sounds very vulnerable but like many of the songs on this magnificent album this one really rocks. The band is kicking butt. It has a kind of seventies vibe about it, not a Leonard Cohen seventies type vibe, but a rock meets Dory Previn kind of vibe. The more I listen to this track the more I love it. Not that I'm saying Nadia's voice sounds like Dory Previn, it more of something in the vibe of  the recording.
Hear the track here.


2) I'm Your Man the title track from the 1988 album.
This has to be one song that is frequently mentioned, and I think of the covers I have Nadia's stands up well to the likes of Nick Cave, Bono and Elton Johns campy version. Mentioned as in a movie with that title, the album of course, and the basis of "I'm Your Fan" the tribute album.
Once you get past the beautiful Nadia singing the words "I'm your man" this is a great track. But she could never be my man. :0)
And that last line "I'll wear a mask for you" has one melting.
You can listen to it here.




3) Avalanche from Songs of Love and hate [1971]
Gone is Leonards classical style guitar, replaced by attacking electric guitars and Nadia's plaintive version of Leonards poetry. Oh and the drums, the drums. This is one rocking track. Love it.

4) True Love Leaves No Traces from Death Of A Ladies` Man [1977]
Starts with a squeak in the door and a wonderful guitar lead in to Nadia's amazing voice. From there on it is pure gold. A nice touch is the background vocals, which I'm sure are Nadia as well. This track has a much softer rock vibe tham most of the other tracks. For anyone who has ever been in love this will bring back the memories of that time. And who came up with the music box idea at the end? Brilliant.




5) One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong from the 1968 classic Songs Of Leonard Cohen This one again gives me the Dory Previn feel, but it's more like Dory takes on punk. I think it's the way it was recorded, maybe some vintage equipment? This  has a heavy percussion feel to it. Then it gets a little psychadelic. Another great track.


6) Ain't No Cure For Love from I'm Your Man [1988]
This song was first released by Jennifer Warnes on her 1987 tribute album Famous Blue Raincoat. The song subsequently appeared as the second track on Leonards's own 1988 album I'm Your Man. This recording is notable for the intro featuring the only saxophone heard throughout the album. And there is no saxophone on Nadia's version. But it is a beautiful rendition of this song, and with a nice backing set of vocals. So the song has gone full circle the first release by a woman and the latest also. It is fitting and I'm sure Leonard would approve.






7) Paper Thin Hotel from the underrated Death Of A Ladies Man [1977]
Nadia, Nadia, you can just hear the longing in her soul on this one. Brilliant, nothing short of brilliant. I believe she has lived this at some time.


8) Came So Far For Beauty from Recent Songs [1979] This is another one you can hear for yourself, a great rockin' guitar intro then the beauty of Nadia jojns in. This one rocks along and again like all of this album is very different from the original, but that is a good thing. If you are going to record another artist, then in my opinion you have to bring something different, and Nadia has done that in spades.

 




9) Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye - Songs Of Leonard Cohen [1968] Sadly we come to the last track, and hey that's no way to say goodbye. I for one could have gone on a lot longer. But this is the last track, and it is yet another gem. Different to the rest, and probably the closest to Leonard's version than any other track here. So on reflection I guess it is a good way to say godbye.


Keep up to date with Nadia on tour

                                                        5 Bears

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online