Girlyman


Today some superb vocal harmonies, courtesy Girlyman.
And no this is nothing to do with Arnold.
Girlyman hail from Atlanta, Georgia and the members are Doris Muramatsu, Tylan Greenstein, Nate Borofsky and JJ Jones.
Their three part harmonies have to be heard to be believed. Sublime.
This has to be the most beautiful harmonious band I've heard in a long long time.

This is part of a review for their new album, Supernova.
A four piece band from Atlanta, Girlyman trade on their three part harmonies and melodic tunes influenced by the likes of Simon and Garfunkel. This album was foreshadowed by the illness of singer, guitar and mandolin player Doris Muramatsu who was diagnosed with leukaemia in 2010. Thankfully she appears to be in remission and fully engaged with the album and proposed European tour. ......more
Do I need to tell you to rush out and get it, just listen to some of these tracks and you'll be out the door hot for the record shop.


SupernovaDoris talks about being diagnosed with leukemia, and Girlyman sings "Supernova" from their 2011 webcast, Girly Live Worldwide.



In what is probably the ultimate version Edie Carey and Girlyman sing the Swell Season's "Falling Slowly" (from the movie Once) during Edie's opening set at Shank Hall in Milwaukee, WI on Feb 12, 2012
Falling Slowly




This is one of their earlier tracks, great video (by Margaret Cho) and again the superb harmonies.
Young James Dean

This is my latest music video for an amazing song called Young James Dean by one of my favorite bands, Girlyman Ty Greenstein, Doris Muramatsu and Nate Borofsky. We shot it in Los Angeles and San Francisco with some fantastic appearances by Monistat, the brains behind the transguy quarterly, Original Plumbing- Amos Mac and Rocco Kayiatos, Ian Harvie, Madison Young, Donna Delore, Tomcat, and many many others! Special thanks to my husband Al Ridenour for camera work in LA, Chip Yamada for editing and Mookey Goh for assisting me in SF. I did almost all of the photography myself, with the exception of the band shots in LA, which were done by Al. When I was shooting Ians part in front of my house, I fell really really hard on my knee because I was trying to protect the camera and break my fall with my body (!) and theres still a bump there but I am not mad at it because I love this video. Pretty much everyone involved in the video (both in front of and behind the camera) is trans/butch/queer/femme, which for me, in the greater LGBT world, is my family. The song is a meditation on butch identity, and so I wanted to show how beautiful we are as a community, no matter what gender we are or what we choose to be. I was going for an old Smiths video look with a SF sensibility. I think you can practically taste the fog. Its a real San Francisco treat. Margaret Cho - January 2010
Way to go Margaret!!  Truly a cool video.



Just can't get enough of these beautiful harmonies, why are these guys not superstars? Goosebumps.
EZ Bake OvensGirlyman performs "EZ Bake Ovens" at the World Cafe Live in Philadelphia, April 13, 2011



One last one for today, as with all of them just amazingly beautiful harmonies.


Long Time GoneGirlyman performs "Long Time Gone" at the Triple Door in Seattle WA on March 24, 2012. Video by Kim Zahller.


           Check out their tour dates, are they coming to a town near you?


                                                        5 Bears

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online