2011 Favorites


Listening to music everybody does a top ten or twenty or fifty of something. So why be different, here's my top ten albums for 2011.

1 - Ane Brun - It All Starts With One

This album has hardly left my music player since it came out back in September.
From "These Days" to "Undertow" on the first CD and then "Dirty Windshield" to "Alfonsina Y El Mar" on the second disc, there is not a bad track on the double album. I cannot recommend this one too highly. One of the most beautiful voices of the year.





2 - Adele - 21

Of course this has to be on everyones list, just the most spectacular seller of the year. Toward the end of the year I also got the DVD "Live at the Royal Albert Hall". This is the must see concert video of the year, many people were upset to miss her concert tour when she had to cancel because of the throat problems. I say to them get a hold of the Albert Hall concert and you'll be doubly gutted. Just amazing.






3 - Abbe May - Design Desire


Back in June the wonderful Abbe May released her tremendous album "Design Desire", and cemented her grasp of the blues singing ladies of this world. You have to hear this, it will kick your butt.








4 - David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time

In November I was surprised to hear this album by David Lynch, I had heard the single "Good Day Today" late in 2010 and figured it to be a one-off. But then came the album, and it's been on the Winamp player, and on a CD in my car for lots of plays.









5 - Matt Stevens - Live in Blackpool


One of my favorite of the current crop of guitar players is Matt Stevens, and when he brought out this live album from a Blackpool concert of his, I was blown away. If you haven't heard it, why?









6 - DeVotchKa - 100 Lovers

This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year. After all we had waited since 2008's "A Mad and Faithful Telling" for a new release from DeVotchKa. Needless to say we were not disappointed. As with all their albums a gem worth waiting for.









7 - Chrysta Bell - This Train

Chrysta Bell was new to me, I was attracted by the beautiful photo on the album cover and intrigued by the fact that David Lynch was so involved in the album. Production, writing, mixing and playing on the album. All in all a wonderfully fulfilling album for the listener.









8 - Nicole Atkins - Mondo Amore


My first introduction to "Mondo Amore" was the video for "Vultures" and at that point I was hooked. Just had to get the album. Am I glad I did.










9 - The Puppini Sisters - Hollywood


The Puppini Sisters have been around for a few years, I was late to finding them. But really glad i did, they have the persona of three Bette Midlers. Very very entertaining and really talented.










10 - The Dø - Both Ways Open Jaws


This is another wonderful album, 2011 has been a good year for albums. Plus they have a live version of the same album which makes it doubly good. I'm thinking that The Dø could be one of the breakout artists of 2012.







What the heck!!!
11 - Marilyn Carino - Little Genius


Who say's a top ten can only contain ten albums.  I couldn't do a best of the year and leave out this gem from Marilyn Carino.  You want jazz, she got it.  You want trip hop, she got it.  You want electronic, she got it.  She's got it all with some to spare.
Check out the album.







I recommend you check out these albums, you can hear some of the tracks by clicking on the headings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online