Unwoman


After the earlier violin piece it started me thinking about one of my favorite lady cello players.
The amazing and beautiful Erica Mulkey, aka Unwoman.
So I figured it was time to catch up on what she was doing, it's been a while since she's been on here, but it's never too often to visit with her.

So the first thing I find is she has been doing this Steampunk thing. Amazing!!!
I've always been a fan of Steampunk groups like Abney Park.
So Unwoman has just completed a her movie, Beautiful Fish, a tour documentary.
First up a trailer for aforesaid piece.


Beautiful Fish: Unwoman Plays Cello for Steampunks TrailerTrailer for the Unwoman tour documentary. Fan-funded, to be released to the public May 18, 2012! Preorder DVD here
Unwoman, a rising star in the steampunk community, travels from the Bay Area to Seattle where she is featured in several performances at Steamcon III. She stops in Portland to play at a goth club and the Lovecraft Bar as well. Behind-the-scenes antics, absinthe-fueled conversations on what steampunk music means, and exclusive live performances make this a delightful slice of life.





Here is some of her performance at .T.E.A.M.Fest in Avondale, GA last moth.
S.T.E.A.M.Fest takes place in Avondale, GA annually. This co-production by the Academy Theatre and The Artifice Club features many wonderful performances, artwork, merchandise, round table discussions, tea dueling, and unique events with an alternant history twist.


Although we have another version of Unwoman performing Hurt, this is just too beautiful to be left out.


Hurt Official Video (Nine Inch Nails Cover) 

It was shot in the wilds of the East Bay by Steen
The one-take you see for the song worked so well we decided to release it as an official video. More footage was taken but has not been cut.


It is from this amazing album of covers. Uncovered Volume 1 is a fan-funded covers album. This volume includes songs written between 1980 and 1995, most of which I made a special attachment to in my childhood or adolescence. Styles vary widely. I intend all songs to be tributes to the original performances without attempting to emulate them.


For all sad Morrissey fans everywhere.
I Know It's OverLast night (Dec 1 2011) I had a show (mostly with Vernian Process but they let me play some solo songs) across the street from where Morrissey had scheduled then cancelled his show. In case there were any sad Morrissey fans in attendance, I learned this cover yesterday (had previously played it on piano in a different key) and rocked it, if I do say so myself. [Unwoman]


Then of course we all know that Unwoman is an activist.
Written in Red - at the General Strike in OaklandBefore the huge movement marched to shut down the Port of Oakland, Nov 2 2011, before riot police from all over the Bay Area showed up at midnight with teargas, in the lovely buoyant afternoon I set up with @Artistsofthe99 outside a well-occupied Citibank near 13th and Broadway. I played a while, with the other performers doing awesome circus tricks and dancing.
For my last song I played this, words were written by Voltairine de Cleyre 100 years ago and are so relevant today.
I have a studio recording here which is FREE to download and to use for any non-commercial purposes. Audio quality is not amazing but I wanted to share my experience with you. You can hear the news choppers overhead, and at one point my phone makes a noise which was my boyfriend texting to see how I was doing. :) [Unwoman]



Here is a list of Upcoming Events for Unwoman. Check her out if she's in your town.

May 11-13, Midwest Microtour: Unwoman with The Lords & Ladies DJs

Friday May 11th - MILWAUKEE, WI, Club Anything Saturday

May 12th - CHICAGO, IL Clockwork Vaudeville starring Unwoman
The Lord Baron's Family Cocktail Hour

Sunday May 13th - ST. LOUIS, MO
Unwoman with Insomniac Folklore at The Crack Fox+ DJ Monsieur Shawn Gaston

Monday May 14th - CHAMPAGNE, IL, Joe's Brewery

May 19, SEBASTOPOL, CA Party After Tribal Festwith Nathaniel Johnstone @ Aubergine After Dark

May 25-28, SAN JOSE, CA Clockwork Alchemy **I am very proud to be the musical guest of honor at this steampunk convention! I’ll be headlining & curating your other entertainment for Friday May 25’s WINDUP CABARET, which will also feature Corpus Callosum; performing with Vernian Process May 26, and making various other appearances, panels etc, and partying with everyone throughout the weekend.

June 2, SAN FRANCISCO, CA Cum & Glitter **NOT WORK SAFE & ADULTS ONLY PLEASE!**
I am the house musician for this feminist queer-positive underground live sex show (!) at a secret location in SF, featuring many amazing and hot performers.

June 21-14, CHAPEL HILL, NC, ConTemporal Unwoman solo performances Friday and Saturday nights

June 30, BURLINGAME, CA, Edwardian Midnight High Tea

5 Bears  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online